In today’s vape market, you can both be the maker and the vaper of your favorite e liquid. It is not as difficult as you may think. If you have been vaping for a while, then you probably know the ingredients that make up your favorite e liquid. If you are new to vaping, you may not know as much. Regardless, even knowing what the ingredients are does not mean you may be able to work with them, hence the need to learn about making e liquid yourself. Even if you are absolutely new to vaping, there is absolutely nothing wrong in skipping right into making your own e liquid.
So What Is DIY E Liquid?
DIY E liquid is simply e liquid that you make yourself. You get to handle all the ingredients used in vape juice. This gives you total control over what your e liquid would taste and perform like. Making e liquid yourself is simple addition and subtraction, and once you understand each of the ingredients, you will be able to seamlessly manipulate them to create personalized vape experiences.
Making e liquid does not need any advanced knowledge of chemistry, neither does it involve complex calculations. In other words, everyone can become a master at DIY e liquid. All you need is the initial knowledge and plenty of practice. We will cover the initial knowledge part next.
It is true that everyone and anyone can make e liquid, but you need all the right elements. In this case, you need to have the right supplies to make the process easier and safer. You also need to have the right ingredients that will make up the e liquid you want to be making. Here are some of the supplies you will need:
- Storage bottles: which you will use to store your e liquid once you are done mixing.
- Syringes, pipettes, measuring cylinders: which you will use to take measurements of the ingredients you will be adding into your DIY e liquid recipe.
- Gloves , goggles: which you will use to protect your skin and eyes while you work with the chemicals.
Next, take a look at the ingredients you will be using to make e liquid:
- Bases i.e. vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG)
Vegetable glycerin is used to make your e liquid thicker and to allow it produce dense smoke-like vapor. Propylene glycol is used to carry the flavor of the e liquid and to allow it produce smooth throat hits.
Flavoring is that simple, it’s the flavor of your e liquid. There are tons of flavor profiles out there that you can select from, mix and match, and create your own unique recipes. Just make sure you buy flavoring designed for e liquid. A good place to find this is flavorah.com.
Nicotine is the addictive element of vape juice. It produces the unique hit that makes vaping a lot more synonymous to smoking a traditional cigarette.
Some people add distilled water into the recipe, although it may cause the spitting from your vape device when you try to give it a drag. As a result, it’s best to leave it out.
DIY E liquid: The Process
There are two methods of mixing; by weight, and by volume. Mixing by weight means that you will be using a scale to measure out the ingredients in grams. Mixing by volume means that you will be measuring using syringes to take out the ingredients in ml. Whichever you choose, just make sure to keep an e liquid calculator handy.
Now, here is a simple way to make e liquid:
- Visit an online or local DIY vape store like
- Buy vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG)
- Buy a few storage bottles (preferably plastic) together with syringes and pipettes
- Go online and check out a few DIY eliquid flavorings. Select a few that appeal to you.
- Once you have everything, prep your workstation i.e. where you will do all the mixing.
- Follow your recipe for measurements if you have one. If you don’t, you may need to check online for resources.
- Use the pipettes or syringes to take out the measurement of all the ingredients you will be using.
- Fill in your measured flavoring and nicotine, about 10-20 drops, into one of your empty storage bottles.
- Fill the bottle up to the middle with PG, and the rest with VG. leave some space for air.
- Cover your bottle, shake thoroughly, and then set it aside for a few hours to settle
- Vape your e liquid. If you are not satisfied, you can adjust to taste. Once you are satisfied, you may need to let it steep.
As you can see, there really is no big deal in making e liquid. You may not get it on your first try. All you need is a little more practice and you will be showcasing your e liquid masterpieces to your friends.